By Mark Hodge @mrhodgey

A TEAM of heroic vets fight to save the life of a baby elephant who has been seriously injured by a poacher's snare

Scroll down for the full story

Videographer / Director: THE DSWT
Producer: Mark Hodge, Chloe Browne
Editor: Sonia Estal

Covered up: Medics covers its eyes to keep the young baby calm

This dramatic footage shows medics from the DSWT/ KWS Tsavo Mobile Veterinary Unit in Taita Hills Sanctuary, Kenya, treating a one-year-old calf whose leg has been severed to the bone.

Horrific: The snare had almost severed his foot

The vets cleaned the wound and applied a protective green clay which is used to assist healing and prevent further infection.

Getting help: The baby ellie was flown 350km for special treatment

In March 2015, three weeks after being treated, the elephant's condition had deteriorated prompting the team to fly the animal 350 km to an orphanage in Nairobi National Park.

Critical condition: The medical team gave him round the clock care

Rob Brandford, Executive Director of the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust's UK charity, insists that without their intervention the calf, named Mwashoti, would have died.

Without the medical team's help the elephant could have been abandoned by its mother

He said: “Mwashoti’s condition was extremely serious. Suffering from a man-made injury, he was found with a snare tightly wound around his foot.

On the mend: Mwashoti plays with another young calf in Nairobi National Park

“This had nearly severed his foot and though he was protected by his mother and herd, he was in severe pain and unable to walk far – which the pair needed to do to find food and water.

The adorable ellie is now able to walk freely after being in severe pain for months

“Without our help, it’s likely he would have fallen behind and at some point, his mother would have had to make the tough choice to abandon her baby to ensure her own survival.

Making it better: The team apply a thick protective clay to help heal the wound

“It became evident if the baby was going to have any chance of survival, he needed to be rescued, and undergo intensive daily treatment for his now heavily infected injury.”

Making friends: The ellie is settling in at the nursery

At the nursery in Nairobi, the vulnerable baby elephant received round the clock care and treatment, including emotional support, specialist formula and blankets to keep him warm.

Feeling peckish: Mwashoti snacks on leaves at his new home

And Rob is hopeful that Mwashoti will one day be able to return to the wild.

Mashwoti is under the watchful eyes of the keepers to make sure he recovers

He said: “We strongly believe he has a wild life ahead of him.

Intervention: The medics believe the elephant would have died without their help

“Mwashoti’s wound continues to heal - miraculously he is currently walking out and about with the other orphans in the Nairobi Forest and we think his horrendous wound should fully heal.”